Blythewood and Ridge View host Tournament of Bands

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michael Gaither, Contributor

On Saturday, October 12th, the high schools of Blythewood and Ridge View hosted a marching band competition. The Tournament of Bands, often called TOB, featured 30 high school marching bands from South Carolina, Georgia, and North Carolina. The band size ranged from 1A-4A classification, and the winner of each class was determined by the highest overall score.

In Class 1A, Cheraw High School had the highest overall score, scoring big in Music Performance, Visual Performance, and Overall Effect. In Class 2A, Gilbert High School had the highest overall score with Strom Thurmond coming in a close second. Gilbert and Strom Thurmond have been the two top 2A high school marching bands in the state for many years.

For Class 3A, Irmo had the highest score, but this was also a very close race, as other bands such as Powdersville and Hartsville were very competitive. Boiling Spring High School won the Class 4A competition, and Clover High School finished second.

As the hosts, both Blythewood High School and Ridge View High School gave expeditionary performances and were responsible for running the event. Blythewood band members were given tasks to make the day run smoothly for the participants.

Dr. Wrighten, the Blythewood band director, states the importance of a strong example for the band with not just our actions, but also word choice. One of the doctor’s favorite quotes comes from the famed Greek philosopher, Aristotle which states: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. We should show excellence in everything that we do.” The Tournament of Bands was an act of excellence.