Blythewood Participates in Basketball Special Olympics

Josh Fulmer

Ashley Fisher

On February 28, the Bengals traveled to Ridge View High School to participate in the Special Olympics.

Blythewood competed against Ridge View, Westwood, and Spring Valley in activities connected to basketball. 

There were stations for the students to practice, and they rotated through them for 45 minutes. The first event was “spot shoot” where students shot baskets from six different spots around the key. The second was “target pass” where students passed a ball to a square on the wall and then caught the ball when it bounced back. The final main event was the 10 meter or circle dribble where students dribbled the ball as fast as they could for 10 meters or dribbled the ball as many times as they could for one minute in a circle. Finally, the athletes participated in an activity to practice their team skills.

After these stations, the athletes participated in 3v3 games. The Bengals played a total of seven of these games and won three of them. There were two separate teams for the Bengals and each team consisted of two athletes and one additional partner. The students who competed as partners to the athletes were Chase Beasley, Morgan Kelly, Mimi Wooten, and Kymear Young.

Many Blythewood students traveled to Ridge View with the athletes to support them throughout the games. Junior Victoria Cotton was one of the students who went. She said, “I had so much fun supporting these athletes. They had so much fun and were so happy and it was such a good experience that I am so happy I was able to be part of it.”

Soon, the Bengals will participate in the Spring Special Olympics. This event will be held at Westwood High School on April 24.