Holiday Wishes Recap

The 2019 Holiday Wishes season is officially over, and it was a very successful one.

Blythewood sponsored 100 families from the Palmetto Project’s Families Helping Families project, and classes, families, teams, and clubs worked together to make this project a success. English and Teacher Cadet teacher Mrs. Jacquelyn Marsha adopted four families for her classes to contribute to. All four families received every gift they asked for as well as additional clothing items. One of her students, Kadrian Porter, stated “I felt so great knowing that I was able to make a family’s Christmas happier and that as a class we were able to fulfill all the items that they wanted for Christmas.”

Another major project was the “Be the Light” project, a partnership with Epworth Children’s Home. The Bengals collected 2,000 items including blankets, Chapstick, toothpaste, and body wash. Also, with donations and money raised from selling tickets for the first annual Holiday Wishes dance, Blythewood was able to raise $3,800 for Epworth. This money will go towards buying supplies for the children as well as to create a reflection room in Epworth’s gym. 

The Holiday Wishes dance was a first for Blythewood, and the Bengals had a blast. The dance took place in the Blythewood High atrium on Friday, December 13 from 9-11 pm. Freshman Kamilo Lara attended the dance and had the time of his life. He said, “It was a nice opportunity to hang out with my friends. I can’t wait for next year’s, it is going to be so much fun.”

For the final week of Holiday Wishes, Student Activities provided the student body with a different surprise every day of the week. On Monday, students were given free hot chocolate in the morning. Tuesday brought Krispy Kreme donuts for students. On Wednesday, face painting was offered in the atrium before first period. Thursday was “Ugly Sweater Day,” and students and teachers wore their ugliest sweaters to compare with one another to try and win a free Chick-fil-A chicken biscuit. To finish the week, Friday held the Holiday Wishes Assembly that included “China Clause,” a school-wide favorite.

This year’s Holiday Wishes was one that will never be forgotten. “This is a great representation of who we are as Bengal Nation,” said Student Activities director Ms. Macy Hunter.