Holiday Wishes: ‘Tis the season for giving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ashley Fisher

The holiday season is fast approaching, which means the start of Blythewood’s annual service project Holiday Wishes

Student Body President Riley Mayfield said, “Holiday Wishes is the best time of the year for sure! It is a great way not only for Student Activites to collaborate with the community, but it is a great way for the entire school to come together and get involved.”

The project kicks off on Monday, November 18 and teachers, students, families, classes, businesses, clubs, and teams have the opportunity to sponsor a family through The Palmetto Project’s ‘Families Helping Families.’ Families range from two members to six members and are matched on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is highly recommended to spend at least $75 on each family member to ensure that they are given a special experience. Wrapped gifts are due to room 401 between the dates of Monday, December 2- Thursday, December 5 from the hours of 8 am-4 pm. 

This year, Blythewood is starting a new project ‘Be the Light.’ This project collects items and raises money for Epworth Children’s Home. Laundry baskets, pillows, twin sheet sets, twin comforters, twin mattress protectors, throw blankets, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, washcloths, umbrellas, Dove body wash, and ChapStick will be collected between Monday, December 9- Friday, December 13. The goal is to collect 1,000 items for the children and young adults who stay at Epworth.

Student Activities members will deliver the items in late December or early January. When they take the items, they will also decorate and create a “retreat room” for those at Epworth. 

Throughout the week of December 9-13, Student Activities also some fun activities planned for students at Blythewood. The week will end with a Holiday Wishes Dance on Friday, December 13 from 7-10 pm in the atrium with proceeds going towards Epworth. Tickets will be sold on Parent Portal beginning November 18 and must be purchased in advance. The dance is for Blythewood students only, and students must bring their current Blythewood ID to the dance to be admitted. 

The final project Blythewood will take part in is a community partnership with Chick-Fil-A. Blythewood will team up with Chick-Fil-A to create care packages for senior citizens in elderly homes and hospice care. These care packages will include gloves, scarves, hats, and socks. Items for this project can be dropped off from Monday, November 11- Saturday, December 7. This project will also include purchasing stuffed cows where the proceeds will go towards buying items for the packages. Those who bring in items will receive a free ice cream or cookie and those who purchase a stuffed cow will receive a free chicken sandwich. This project is a competition against Westwood High School and Blythewood Academy to see who can bring in the most items and who can purchase the most stuffed cows. 

Junior Alexandra Davis is very excited about the many projects she and many other students have worked hard to organize. She said, “I’m excited about holiday wishes because it represents a season of giving back to your community and those who are less fortunate. In my opinion, Holiday Wishes is one of the most impactful and important things we do at Blythewood High, and to be a part of it is something I’ll carry with me the rest of my life.” 

It is highly recommended that students, teachers, families participate to help give back to the community. “I am very excited for this year’s Holiday Wishes and hope almost all students plan on participating,” said senior Elizabeth Nutter.