Blythewood, although they lose to Spring Valley, gets into the playoffs

Michael Gaither, Contributor

Last Friday, Blythewood High’s varsity football team lost to Spring Valley Vikings with a final score of 42-21. Blythewood came into this game at 5-4, while Spring Valley came in at 4-5. This game would determine both team’s playoff chances.

The game was back and forth going into the 4th quarter. Leading by a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, Spring Valley faced a third down, when their quarterback flipped a pass to receiver/all-purpose player, Hunter Rodgers. Rodgers then proceeded to throw an excellent pass that was juggled and then caughtin one hand for a touchdown. That gave the momentum back to the Vikings who scored again later that quarter to ultimately put the game out of reach. Spring Valley would end up taking the game, 45-21.

It was a great all around effort by Blythewood to keep their season alive. Quarterback Josh Strickland threw for over 300 yards. Running back Brandon Edwards had a huge night, rushing for over 100 yards and had 2 rushing touchdowns. Edwards also had over 100 yards receiving. The Bengals offense had the advantage in most of the major categories, but just wasn’t able to keep it consistent throughout the entire game.

Despite the Bengals’ record, they earned A postseason bid as an at-large when comparing the wins of other 5A schools. They will play against Laurens High School, which is near Greenville. Laurens finished 8-1 on the season and one of the #No. 1 seeds in the 5A Upper State bracket.