Blythewood Varsity Girls Golf wins 5A State Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gregg Martin

Gregg Martin

Gregg Martin

Michael Gaither, Contributor

It was a great day for Blythewood High School, as their varsity girls golf team won the 5A State title. This was the first time in Blythewood High’s history that girl’s golf won the state title, and the school’s first championship in any sport since 2010. Blythewood shot an overall 621, while Lexington shot a 630 to come in second. 

Coach Jason Minkel talked about the team’s path to the championship. “We have come a really long way as a team together. We finished third two years ago, second last year. This was obviously the goal this year. They have come together and worked so hard as a group. They deserve all the credit they get. They put everything together out there on the course.”

After the first day of the championship, Blythewood led by a slim margin. On the final day, the Bengals received clutch performances from two of their youngest players. Freshman Ella Stalvey caught fire, making a birdie on three of her last four holes to win a medal for tying with the highest overall score. She also received All-State honors as well.

Blythewood’s other clutch performance came from Sophomore Paige Paolucci, who shot an 87 on the first day, shot a 75.  Paige stated “I felt a little nervous at first, but I felt pretty excited during the whole experience.” “That was huge for us, then Paige shot a 75 and came out of nowhere with that. That was really great for us,” said coach Minkel about Stalvey and Paolucci’s performances.

Blythewood will remain strong going to 2020 as over half of the team will be returning. But for now, they, and Blythewood High School, will savor the championship.