Celebrating Red Ribbon Week

Megan Dinkins

Celebrating Red Ribbon Week

By: Megan Dinkins

Blythewood High is celebrating Red Ribbon Week from October 28-November 1. The theme is “Your future is key, so stay drug-free.”

Ms. Friels-Paz, a guidance counselor at Blythewood, states, “celebrating Red Ribbon Week is important because it is a public display of students, faculty and staff’s commitment to making healthy choices and staying away from things that are harmful!”

Ludia Kim,  a junior at Blythewood, states that “[Red Ribbon Week] shows an awareness of the consequences of drugs and allows teachers to be comfortable and wear jeans.”

The dress days include: ‘Red Carpet’ day on Monday. There is a red carpet placed in the atrium for students to take pictures in front of to show that they are drug-free.

Tuesday is ‘Team up against Drugs’ day. Students are encouraged to wear their favorite jerseys to show that they were teaming up against drugs.

Wednesday is ‘Give Drugs the Boot’ day. Students are motivated to wear their favorite boots to kick drugs to the curb.

Thursday is ‘Camo’ day. Blythewood students are to wear camo to stand against drugs and fight the pressures of doing the wrong things.

Friday is ‘It’s Crazy to Do Drugs’ day. Students are to wear their craziest socks, clothes, or hair and show that doing drugs is crazy.

Red Ribbon Week is about practicing and praising being drug-free and living a successful, sober life. This week is very important because peer pressure is very relevant to teens’ lives. It is to show students that being drug-free is cool and that doing drugs is not.

Stay drug-free and participate in Red Ribbon Week!